How to Use Instagram Story Highlights
Instagram’s Story Highlights are a new feature released late last year which allow you to take Insta Stories you’ve previously created, pin them to the top of your profile, and customize the name and thumbnail. The feature gives profiles a personal touch, allowing you to show off your Insta Stories after one day has passed and they’ve disappeared. Think of Highlights as your library of past Insta Stories grouped by category that users can view each time they visit your profile.
Here’s how to create a Highlight!
- You can use up to 10 characters in the name of your Highlight, including spaces.
- By default, Instagram uses the first image you add to the Highlight as the cover thumbnail. However, you have the option to replace it, which is the perfect opportunity to add your branding.
- When choosing your Highlights, think about what it is that you want to, well, highlight about your state Guard. Then plan to create Insta Stories for each of these categories.
- For us at the National Guard, starting with a few categories seemed just right: annual training, RSP, BCT, and Recruiter Q&As. Check out the Highlights we made for the @NationalGuard Instagram account to get those creative juices flowing!
Create a Highlight from Past Insta Stories
- Go to your profile and tap “Highlight” below your username and bio.
- Tap .
- Tap to select the story or stories you want to add to highlights, then tap “Next.”
- Choose a cover photo and enter a story name for your Highlight, then tap “Add” (iPhone) or “Done” (Android). You can add more photos or videos to your highlight at any time by tapping” Edit Highlight.”
Create a Custom Thumbnail Cover Design for Your Highlight
- To add a branded look and feel to your Highlights, create custom covers that reflect the look and style you want to convey to your followers. You might incorporate a logo, icon, script, or relevant image in your designs. You can design the images in Photoshop, Canva, or a graphic design toolof your choice. Just be sure you size them at 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- When you’re happy with your design, tap “Save” to save it to your camera roll.
Add a Custom Thumbnail Cover to Your Highlight
- Before you can use your new design as a cover, you first need to add it to your story and then to the appropriate highlight.
- Go back to your profileand tap your profile image to watch your story. When your cover image opens, tap the heart icon labeled Highlight.
- Now you have the option to either create a new Highlight or select an existing Highlight.
- If you prefer to create a new Highlight, tap the sign, add a Highlight name, and tap “Add.”
- The next step is to update your Highlight cover. Tap on your Highlight under your profile bio and click the three dots icon at the bottom-right corner.
- Next, tap “Edit Highlight.”
- You now see options to edit the cover, change the name of your Highlight, or delete highlighted stories you no longer want to use.
- To change the cover, tap “Edit Cover”and select your new branded Highlight. You can drag the image on the screen to reposition it. Tap “Done” to save your changes.